So remember a week ago, when I was all excited (and slightly stunned) about Vegas?
Well, a lot has happened since, and up until last night we weren’t even sure that we could go.
Mike’s aunt had what was thought to be a minor stroke, but has since escalated into a terminal situation. Friday afternoon she was taken off of everything except for a morphine drip. She’s a strong woman–she always has been–and she’s still hanging in there. But we know it’s just a matter of time . . .whether it’s days, weeks, or hours.
All of this past weekend was spent waiting on the phone to ring. We had it in our heads that we weren’t going to go to Vegas. The package that we booked was non-refundable, but we both agreed that losing that money was, of course, the less important issue. To be honest with you, I thought that she would pass quickly. I never would have imagined that she could go this long.
Last night was our decision point. We’re going to go. We have every contingency in place to get back sooner than we had planned, which was around midnight on Saturday. Mike’s aunt lives in New Jersey, so even if we can make it back to Pittsburgh, we’ll still have a 6 1/2 hour drive ahead of us. I printed out the details on every flight from Vegas that comes back to Pittsburgh, goes to Philadelphia, or into Newark. I have details on rental car companies in Newark and Philly, train schedules, bus schedules, and even the phone numbers for cab companies. There is no way that we’re not going to be there to pay our respects to Aunt Mary.
So as much as I love Las Vegas, I haven’t really had much of a chance to look forward to our trip, and even now, 4 hours before our plane leaves, we’re still nervous about the timing of everything. It’s very surreal. Even though it’s finally sinking in that we’ll be in Vegas tonight, it’s a very bittersweet feeling. Whether it happens while we’re gone or after we come back, at some point soon we’ll be saying our final goodbyes to Aunt Mary.